Last fall I started my mission to make the sunroom a cozy place to relax. Here is what is sort of looked like before. Two wicker chairs from IKEA and a hammock courtesy of my parents. I wanted to put the hammock on the deck, but they don’t call this place “Blowing” Green for nothing…that hammock would be gone in an instant!
So, I started by painting the walls. They were a yucky beige color and I wanted a nice cool blue. I used some of the paint from the reading room and lightened it up with some white. You can see my color tests and the lovely pattern on the vinyl walls here.
You can see Olie tried to help too…
The light fixture out there was hideous. I happened upon an abandoned wall sconce-like fixture at Goodwill, painted it up with some Stainless Steel finish spray paint, added a $0.50 glass shade (Goodwill, of course) and ended up with a pretty nifty little light fixture for under $2.00. The square piece that juts out happens to be part of the siding that was originally on this side of the house before the sunroom was added. It couldn’t be removed, so I painted it white and added some quarter-round trim. Let me tell you, without a mitre box, making the corners of the trim was a feat.
We picked up a little bistro table set on sale at Menards at the end of last summer season. It’s actually a bar, but who cares!
Last but not least, we needed a comfy place to sit. We bought the wooden couch frame at Habitat for Humanity Restore for $10 or $15 bucks and it sat in the sun room for ever. As the weather got warmer and warmer I got increasingly frustrated that I hadn’t yet made it comfy with some cushions. I knew it would be crazy expensive to by foam, batting, and fabric to make the cushions, so I scoured Craigslist until I found a new futon mattress for sale for $20. So what if it was in Gainesville, Virginia? Let’s face it, the DC Metro/Northern Virginia area has the best stuff on Craigslist. My wonderful friend Sarah picked it up for me and I got it from her at my baby shower last week.
On Wednesday I set out to dissect it and turn it into cushions for my couch. I used a 9′ x 11′ canvas drop cloth from Home Depot as my fabric and a few hours later I had a couch! I make it sound easy, but really I agonized over measurements and mitered corners. I thought the cover(s) would be perfect because I painstakingly planned. Nope…I started with one big cushion and cover for the bottom and it was AWFUL! The cover was too big for the cushion, the cushion too big for the couch. So, ended up winging the rest of it…I cut the single cushion into two, cut the single cover into two and it worked so much better! The rest followed suit and I had a finished product I am happy with. Jonathan came home after three or four hours at the office and I got a “Wow…wow!”